Thursday, March 17, 2011

Never say never. And no I'm not talking about the Justin Bieber song...

These past two days in New York have been a complete eye opener for me. Its reaffirmed that fact that the fashion industry is where I need to be, but it's wavered my decision of where in the country I want to end up. I always said I would never ever move to New York, basically because I never thought I was 'cutthroat' enough, creative enough, or had enough connections. Well as the title of this post says never say never, I'm actually thinking of taking the plunge and moving to the city rather than the beach.

{upside down photo I accidentally took on 34st. but it's how I feel, all upside down!}

Most of those who know me well will understand how big of a change of heart it is for me to be considering a move to the city and I'm still not sure I will actually be able to do it. There's just so much opportunity here it's insane. Just so many things to think about, definitely need a few days for some self/career evaluations. But aside from my "where to go now" dilemma we had some amazing office visits on Tuesday!

{inside Macy's MMG offices}

We got to go inside the MMG Macy's and speak with their design, merchandising, .com, and some of the inventory teams. From there we went to Macy's Herald Square and got to meet with the famous Paul Olszewski who is the Director of Window Design. This man has won tons of awards for his artistic window displays, if you haven't seen any of his work google immediately.

From Macy's we went onto FIT and explored their current exhibits: His and Hers, Japan Now, and Vivienne Westwood. They have some amazing pieces in this collection and it is definitely worth seeing. The Japan Now collection will blow your mind.

{snapshot of Japan Now exhibit}

After FIT we went over the Blue Stripe PR, a fashion PR company, and got a tour of their studios. They represent some really great lines and seem to have some of the glamorous lives in the industry.

And finally to end our day we spent some time at Joseph Abboud's studio speaking with some of the UT alum that make up the merchandising and PR.


{men's wear photographs lining the hall outside Joseph Abboud}

It was an extremely busy day but super fun and we got to meet some really great people. I will soon follow up with a post about our Wednesday activities; I have tons of pictures to share! But for now I'm off, my mom should be making it into NYC with my sister and nephew any minute now and I cant wait to see them! Whew! Now the real vacation begins!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment