Friday, March 18, 2011

The city is an addiction

So Wednesday was the last day of the seminar with the UT Texas Exes program and I must say I was on cloud nine the whole day. We began our day at The Museum of the City of New York and ended at the studio of the famous stylist Lori Goldstein. I felt like I've done nothing but meet celebrities all week (almost bumping into Katie Holmes and Suri totally counts, even if me and my girlfriends did walk right past them without noticing!), its been such a surreal experience.
At the beginning of fall semester I decided that I was going to apply to graduate school to get a master's of art in fashion curation. Knowing that this career would be the perfect mesh of my love of history and fashion I knew it was something I had to pursue. So, you can imagine how insanely excited I was to meet the curator for the costume collection of the Museum of the City of New York. I almost died when the curator opened a vault that revealed three original gowns designed by the House of Worth. The intricate details, the intact paniers, and beautiful fabrics, ah clothes just aren't made like that anymore! I have tons of photos but because of copyright/privacy issues I'm not sure if I can share them. However I can share some pictures I got of their current exhibit and if you are ever in New York during a fashion exhibit you must stop by!

From the museum we headed down to the Fendi offices off fifth avenue to speak with their accessories buyer and their HR director. The history of the company is amazing and shows what an awesome establishment they really are. When I left not only did I want to work there but I also wanted to forgo paying my rent so I could take home one of their peek-a-boo bags with me!

After Fendi we headed to what was my favorite stop of the whole seminar, Lori Goldstein's styling studio. We were greeted by one of Lori's personal assistants Danny. He gave us a complete tour of the studio and a run down of what goes on on a daily basis. I was so captivated by the fast paced, energetic and passionate atmosphere of the office. Below is the latest editorial that Lori styled for W magazine featuring a stunning McQueen gown. Follow Lori and her team on twitter [ @LGinstantchic @lori_goldstein and like them on facebook!
After a whirlwind of office visits the seminar concluded with a networking reception where I got to mingle with some pretty amazing people and then my vacation in NYC started! My mom, sister and nephew arrived Thursday afternoon and we have been non stop exploring the city ever since. More pictures of our adventures to come tomorrow, for now it's lights out to get rested for another big day tomorrow!

Xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment