Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Meet Me in the Mediterranean

Summer is here. It's melting. When this time of the year comes around my appetite seems to fly out the window; food feels too heavy to eat and if it's not ice cold I'm not interested. Being in college full time and working part time doesn't leave me much time to cook for myself so whenever I get the chance to whip up a dish I'm more than happy to! I invited all the girls over for a little dinner party for one last get together before my roommate leaves for vacation in Colorado and then Oxford for the rest of the summer (so jealous!) and I got the chance to make one of my favorite dishes, Greek Pizza.

The best part of this pizza: it takes about 20 min. total to prepare and cook, it's completely vegan and organic for all those foodies out there, and it tastes ten times better as cold leftovers the next day.

Greek Pizza with Basil Pesto
1 bunch fresh basil
1 cup toasted walnut halves
3 cloves of garlic
2 Kabuli ready made pizza crusts (can find in most specialty food stores)
5 Roma tomatoes - sliced
1 lg. purple onion - sliced
1-2 jars pitted, halved Kalamata olives (depending on how much you like them, I love to smother my pizza in them!)

First you want to make the pesto spread that is used instead of pizza sauce. In a food processor blend the walnuts and 3 cloves of garlic. After well processed add 1/2 cup of water and basil and blend until thick.


Next, spread equal amounts of basil pesto on your two pizza crusts. Top with sliced onions, olives, and roma tomatoes. Place both pizzas in 450 degree oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes, just until the crust is brown and the tomatoes have slightly wilted. Sprinkle with fat free crumbled feta (optional), pour a glass of pinot and enjoy!

{at the dinner party we had to throw in a classic pepperoni for the picky eaters!}
Had to try to this bottle of Pinot Grigio only because the label was so cute! I love that little cartoon fish sunbathing, in the rain, on the beach. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment